Tuesday, May 11, 2010

fifth homework

Death penalty?
Hm, It’s quite the controversial theme. I’ve heard that many peple are asking it back, but I seriously doubt they’re going to do it, or even apply it if they eventualy take it back. In Chile judges hardly apply a decent condemn to criminals, even if they have enough proof. What is there to expect from those judges if they had the death penalty chances are they will be forgiven anyway, and even perpetual penalty is really perpetual (I’m not sure, but I guess it’s around 40 years or so, pardon the ignorance).
When I watch in Tv people screaing for death penalty for some criminal, I wonder what will happen if it really comes back: I guess if that people are left with the criminal at their will they would go ahead and lynch him or her as a mob, but I really doubt that if one those of those people was given a gun and told: “Ok, he/she will have death penalty, but you’re the one doing the killing,” I guess most of people would draw back. I think the same would happen with judges: It must be a heavy weight on their shoulders the thought of being the responsible of the death of a person. Maybe that’s why they got soft on crimes (or they are threatened, it’s a possibility). Then again, you could say that those people where “asking” for it: Death penalty is normally reserved for the most atrocious crimes. So I really don’t have a solid opinion about it: it would be fair, but I wouldn’t have to guts to give it.

No comments:

Post a Comment